News from up North

Monday, November 06, 2006

Still ill but cooking ...

Just a quicky today to say that I am still ill ... a chest infection has struck with avengence ..so between barking, I thought I would fill you in with two bits of news.

Firstly I successfully cooked an edible meal last night. This may not seem earth shattering to the usual man on the street, but for me it was a breakthrough! I think I have finally managed to work out how to cook on a halogen hob and work the oven .. hoorah! My gastronomic masterpiece was chilli beef stuffed peppers which was lush, even if I do say so myself! :)

The second piece of news is that I've just discovered that my next door neighbour has a set of steel drums in his flat, and on a Monday afternoon he gives out lessons. Now at this point I bet you are thinking .... Dawny is about to go into a rant, but no, I actually like to listen to his student practising. Today we had "Silent Night" and "Yellow Bird", which were fab.....it makes you feel like you are sitting on a beach on a Caribbean island, but then you start coughing and realise that it's all a dream! Anyway, I'd rather listen to that than the Elephant Man upstairs pacing up and down, slamming cupboards etc.... I am thinking of buying him a pair of padded slippers and a "DIY Ballet" DVD and leaving them outside his door...as a bit of a hint.

I just hope that tonight there will be a stop to the fireworks. I love them and I like nothing more than standing in a cold muddy field with my solitary sparkler, joining in with the chorus of "Ooo's" and "Ahh's" .... but for the last two nights I have had 6 hours of fireworks.... which for any lover of Bonfire night is a bit OTT !

On a sadder note...... Sainsbury's have moved the toilet rolls into the pet food section! Lord knows why, but it was very traumatic today trying to buy my pack of four and having to pass the cat food :( I think I will write and complain.

On a happier note....good to see the boys did well at the rugby, I know it was a draw but I was still proud. I felt even better when I saw that NZ thrashed England :) It's a shame I was not in work today to rub my fellow colleagues noses in it... ah well I am sure it will keep.

4 Comments:

  • oh, you could have gone to the rugby with me and the wirish had you been here....

    sorry to hear that you cooked stuffed peppers! I cooked some of those the other night as well -- it is a yummy and healthy meal, esp. when one is feeling under the weather.

    And I absol. agree with your weariness with the fireworks. We are getting old.

    By Blogger Bonnie Blue in Wales, at 8:54 pm  

  • Now I'm gutted .. would have loved to have gone to the rugby!
    The fireworks have raged again tonight and Elephant Man is doing "Riverdance" ... oh to have peace and quiet!

    x

    By Blogger DawnyLiz, at 11:54 pm  

  • A draw against Australia, rubbish. How about a 17-20 win against them?
    Who currently hold the RWC?
    Well then.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 pm  

  • It's a shame you are dwelling in the past matey... remember it was a lucky drop kick from Johnny what's his name that won England the RWC and where is he now? Got his Knighthood then disappeared! I think the Welsh team played well much better than "this years" England team and that's the one that counts! Let's move on eh.....?

    By Blogger DawnyLiz, at 2:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home