News from up North

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sympathy with hedgehogs...


Today's theme is the sympathy I have with hedgehogs. Not the rolling around in crispy leaves or the midnight crusades for a saucer of milk, but that dangerous misson they have to endure - known as crossing the road!


My mission impossible started today after work, when I decided to pop to Sainsbury's to replenish my empty fridge and have my weekly fix of staring at Caerphilly cheese. Anyway, as I needed to do a big shop.... I took my newly acquired shopping trolley with me. Yes ok I know I sound like a complete OAP, but my continuing "back" problem prevents me from dragging 6 bags of shopping across town so I purchased my little "Granny Chariot" ....and no there will not be any photos of it posted on this site!
Anyway....after filling the trolley with shopping I trundled across the car park to the main road which is outside my flat. This is a road like no other as it comprises of 3 lanes of busy traffic each way...so that's a total of 6 lanes to attempt without a safety net or the green cross code man...scary! As soon as one lane was clear......the other two weren't .... so after waiting for 6 mins and worrying that my fish fingers were defrosting ... I took my life in my own hands and sprinted across the road....
....the problem was the little plastic wheels on my trolley are designed for the slow melodic pace of the aforementioned OAP, not a 37 year old traffic dodger!.....the inevitable happened...my wheel fell off mid sprint ...OMG I am going to die...or even worse.... (considering the state of my cupboards)...my shopping will get squished!

I managed to drag the trolley, with sparks flying across two lanes and make it to the island in the middle of the road....only to face the daunting prospect of tackling the next three lanes on the other side........luckily the lights were with me at the end of the road and the traffic stopped long enough for me to cross...but my wheel was still in the middle lane of the first crossing and my desire to die wasn't strong enough to go and retrieve it....

So RIP my trolley, we didn't have that long..
I treated you so roughly, I know where I went wrong...
that rapid sprint across the road, just killed your wheel stone dead,
Next time I want some shopping, I'll just buy online instead!
(Matthews, 2006)

So after my bereavement ...I have been cheered up by a programme that they have up here called "Eye in the sky" ....basically a blonde Anneka Rice look-a-like travels around in a helicopter pointing out places of interest..... well Dawn that's not very amusing I hear you cry! ...yes but what tickled my dirty mind is that the guy flying the helicopter aka the pilot...is called..."BJ" ........which does not stand for Joe Blob .....everytime she shouts "hey that's BJ" a sad smirk appears on my face......apologies for my lack of morals!

"Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it" - Lewis Carroll

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home