News from up North

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Fast Food Freak Show!

I need to share with you an experience I had from yesterday.....which involves my favourite subject....food!

I have finally found a fish and chip shop in the High Street (hoorah!) but was dismayed to note on the menu "Fish Tea-Cake"..... Now my recollection of a tea-cake is a small bun like item which has currants and is served preferably toasted with lots of butter on. So I was slightly concerned as to where the connection with battered cod came in....

Luckily for my curiosity, the guy in front of me in the queue ordered the item in question and I was relieved to see that the "tea-cake" is actually a large buttered bap - although it was still a little strange to see a big piece of fish sticking out of it! Anyway, I wimped out and just ordered a bag of chips ... only to be told that they didn't do bags....only cartons ... oh the hardship of cross cultural communication!

I will leave the description of the potato/cheese and mushy pea fritters until another occassion as it's lunchtime and the thought of them makes me feel a bit queasy!

Anyway, yesterday was seminar day followed by a trip to the pub, which is always welcomed. I managed to have a good natter with Rachel and Lisa (the MA girls) and relayed my story about my date that never happened. They agreed with my course of action as they commented that "he sounds like a right nutter", so it was nice to know that the localised opinion was the same as back home. I also spoke again to Matt my fellow PhD student who I thought was just a The Smiths fan...oh no...he only likes Japan..... well that's my next husband sorted out! (JOKE!)

Unfortunately, the night was spoilt as I managed to loose my office keys on the way home ...which didn't go down too well with the girls in the office this morning ... Lord knows where they are..but to make it worse, my Welsh flag key ring was attached to them ... not good!

So the only highlight of today has been a fire alarm.....but false alarm and no firemen so a wasted 10 minute stand in the cold :(

Ciao for now........ back to the grindstone :( Apologies for any spelling errors as I couldn't get the spelling checker to work, so I've posted without checking it as that's the type of reckless gal I am!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home