News from up North

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Madness!

I don't know about anybody else but I am getting very distressed about the madness in the world. The shootings in Virginia have only highlighted how bonkers everything has become. I would love to go back 100 years and see what the world was like, did the Daily Herald report on mass shootings by lone gunman? poverty and brutality in third world countries while others enjoy affluence and wealth? Upon reflection, it most probably would which is sad as it means that nothing has changed.
The reason for this deep mode of thought, is that I have had a long chat with JP about life in Congo DR and even though I can not reprint most of the stuff he told me, not only because it's private but to be honest it is too traumatic and disturbing, it has made me appreciate how lucky we are in this country to have such a high standard of living - not just the standard roof over our heads and food on the table type stuff, but the security to sleep in our beds at night without the threat of being dragged out in the middle of the night by the security forces, freedom to speak our minds and live without the threat of civil war..... all sounds like stuff we see on the TV news but just phase out soon after ... but when you speak to people who actually experience such things it puts a lot of 'problems and worries' that you have into perspective!

Anyway, enough deepness .... this week has been a bit of a mis-mash of work and play. Went to the cinema last night with JP to see '300' - it's the one about the Spartans and the Persians. Unfortunately I had a busy day and didn't get a chance to eat much so my head was pounding a bit before I even got to see the film. The next 2 hours were spent with my fingers in my ears due to the loud battle cries of the Spartans and the unnecessary excessive volume of the UCI in Huddersfield! But apart from that the film was OK - the sight of 300 scantly clad Spartans in leather pants and all having chiseled looks and 8-packs help immensely to make up for the predictable massacre at the end...... so I'll give it an 8/10.

Next week I have to prepare a poster in which to present my research so far ...so I feel a Blue Peter moment coming on ..... blu-tack and sticky backed plastic at the ready!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home