News from up North

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Busy Bee buzz buzz buzz .....


OK so it's been ages since I blogged but I am not going to waste space apologising it's just the way it is!
Two weeks ago I had my first set of visitors in sunny Hudds, namely my niece Tazmin and my sister Jane. This was a trial run for having guests in my flat and it confirmed my suspicions that I live in a shoe box.... or as Taz put it ' it's teeny' I note at this point that she wasn't referring to my ever expanding arse!
Anyway we had a fab 2 days, we went to the Eurika science museum in Halifax, where Taz succeeded in loosing her knitted purse (bad girl) so I have spent the last week knitting her another one! The museum had a practical demonstration of how to make a junior rocket by using an empty film cartridge, some vinegar and an alka selsa (cool!). It also had a set of mirrors which made you look thinner or fatter than you are... no points for guessing which one I loved ... ah memories!
We the went to Tropical World, which had a big greenhouse full of butterflies, spiders, snakes and fish ... quite a combination! The gardens were beautiful (see above pic) but the roses had yet to bloom....so a return trip in the summer has already been planned, this time with my parents and other niece.
On the Wednesday I drove my guests back to sunny Wales and my sister commented on how horrendous the drive is ...so I am def. taking the train from now on ... 5 hours of motorway is not fun! My first trip when home was to Cardiff to meet up Katharine and Georgia (who is still as barking as ever). K is applying for a PhD in Cardiff which looks really exciting and I hope she gets it while G is all loved up with a new man .... ahhh!
Talking of new men ... yes the rumours are true ... I have found a real live one and this time not via the Internet! His name is Jean-Paul and he is a PhD student at Hudds. At first I was afraid I was petrified ....sorry ......at first I was a bit weary of him as he's a bit 'full on' but as he is from Congo (yes I know another African but I actually get to see this one!) there are cultural differences to consider ..... since I have been back we have been out a few times and we are getting on well, so who knows..... that's all I will say on that for now as I don't want to tempt fate!
So back at home ....what happens ... yes I get ill .....catch a chest infection so Easter weekend is spent in doors coughing. During my final week I try to do as much visiting as possible but it is hard to keep a conversation going in between coughing fits :(
My drive home was horrendous.... roadworks on the bridge, accident on the M5, accident on the M6, roadworks and then another accident on the M6 ... together with boiling sun and my air-con breaking down ....and coughing ... not nice!
So back in work, which I am enjoying apart from my nose has turned into a running tap (TMI?), and also JP meets me after work for coffee and a chat which is nice. He gets to practise his English and laugh at my French - tres bien all round really! :)
An apt quote as I tend to stay away from British males:
"British men take you to McDonald's make you pay and ask if anyone is dating your sister"
- Minnie Driver
(Note: Welsh men take you to McDonald's make you pay, drag you to bed and then find out that you are their sister! ... Ewwww! - Dawn Matthews)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home