News from up North

Monday, January 08, 2007

1st day back at school!

OK so today I had a bit of a mad day - busy busy bee! Meetings, teaching and more meetings, so I now feel like a real lecturer!
The teaching went well, I was pleased to see that most of my 2 classes comprised of the students I taught last year for Sociolinguistics and what a nice bunch they are. They are very polite, don't grumble when I talk cr*p, and laugh politely at my attempt at humour - what stars!

I finally have some company in my office, Matt (the only other PhD student) has moved in. To be honest it is a good thing as I now feel guilty for staring out of the window day dreaming - so much more work is achieved leaves me more time in the evenings for knitting - result!

I did have a visit today from one of the MA girls who has had a terrible time over Christmas and has now missed her deadline for 3 assignments - I felt so sorry for her as her face today reminded me of the panic I was in when doing my MA. So tomorrow we are going to spend an hour trying to get her back on track as she has a 1 week extension - poor thing!

"A lecture is a process by which the notes of the professor become the notes of the students without passing through the minds of either" - R.K. Rathbun

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home