News from up North

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Psycho and Grice!

OK so the tablets have kicked in and I'm feeling a lot better (hooray I hear you cry as all you've done is moan about illness) so I should be OK to start teaching on Tuesday. My lesson planning is well under way and I hope to be fully prepared - the only thing I am concerned about is writing on the board. I know this sounds sad but my handwriting has been compared to a pissed spider tap-dancing in ink - so this is something I need to work on!

Today, as well as lesson planning I have decided to dye my hair dark red, which was quite a challenge. For the few of you who may have visited my bathroom in Trethomas you may have noticed certain areas of browny red splodges on my tiles - well that was hair dye. Even though I tried to be careful, I would still end up getting it everywhere. Now Damien Hirst or Tracy Emin (I am sure that is spelt wrong!) would earn a fortune from "Dye on Tiles" but for me it was a case of getting the tile paint out and trying to cover it up.

So when I decided to dye my hair here in my rented accommodation I was concerned. I had two options either: 1. buy four boxes of cling film and cover the entire bathroom or 2. mess up three large bath towels. I chose number 2 and the aforementioned towels are now in the washing machine.

The best thing was washing the dye of after the suggested 30 mins. As I have a stand alone shower cubicle (with white tiles) in order to wash the dye off I had to physically get under the shower - which was really scary as I have just undergone a "Psycho - Janet Leigh " experience. Large amounts of red liquid pouring over me and all over the tiles - not a pretty sight!

Ah well the result of my labour is a dark copper red mullet which I thought appropriate for the festive season - and according to the box it will not fade - as it's L'Oreal - and I'm worth it!

OK back to work - I am presenting a piece to the MA group tomorrow on your friend and mine Mr H. P. Grice (Yes my MA friends he seems to be a permanent fixture in my life). The scary thing is the MA girls keep asking me my advise on stuff - as I am "the PhD student" they are under the completely wrong impression that I know more than them! I have tried to explain to them that I only finished my MA in September but this has not dissuaded them from their false sense of academic adulation - it's all a bit embarrassing as a lot of the time they know far more than me and I am just trying to keep up - yikes!

2 Comments:

  • In no particular order:

    1. "like a pissed spider tap dancing in ink" made me giggle. Oh, how I giggled!

    2. Mmmm, Grice...

    3. I am very pleased to hear that you are on the mend.

    4. Its your blog, you're allowed to moan all you want! In fact, bring it on!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 pm  

  • You ARE worth it!!!!!!

    By Blogger Bonnie Blue in Wales, at 5:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home