News from up North

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What's been happening?

Graduation day July 20th 2007 (l-r Katharine, Laura, Dawny, Anne-Marie, Georgia) aka American, Posh Welsh, Dave, Another American, Greek!

OK so it's been 4 months since my last post, which I admit is extremely lame. If it wasn't for the fact that Amerie put me to shame this evening, I wouldn't even be writing this ....the problem is I have just been really busy! In July I went to the IPrA Conference in Sweden and had a fabulous time. It was all really tiring but good. My paper was well received and I made lots of new friends.

(L-r Anne Furlong (Canadian Professor), Rebekah Johnston from New York and me standing on one of the many bridges in Gothenburg)
Gothenburg or Gutenberg (as the locals call it!) itself was an interesting place, lots of great architecture. I loved the trams, the buildings and the University. I wasn't as keen on the food, the price of alcohol (£5 a pint - scandalous!) and the weather ...it rained all week! but apart from that I'm glad I went.
I returned to Huddersfield and on the next day travelled down to Wales for my MA graduation. Unfortunately, I didn't have the best day. This is due to some ill fitting shoes, some chaffing (which I won't go into!), walking through St Davids Centre with my dress tucked in my pants (extremely embarrassing!), forgetting where the reception was and then getting home to spend the next 3 weeks with tonsillitis! On a brighter note it was good to see the girlies again and of course my saviour Matt, who kindly returned my robe for me as I was in a bit of pain (see aforementioned list of complaints).
So after an eventful Summer, I returned to Hudds and then hit something known as a 'new term' ....OMG what madness! When I arrived here last year it was October 2nd (yes I have been here a year, which has gone very quickly!), so term had already started. The first couple of weeks are just plain bonkers. First years wandering around with maps, looking extremely lost/confused .... Third years just wandering around looking lost/confused......Lecturers wandering around looking ...well you get the idea!
Between my teaching, doing a PCPD course (please don't ask what it stands for as I can never remember, but it's a compulsory teaching qualification), also I have started a BSL course which is great! and the main user of my time my research....I am very busy!
The only good thing is that Hudds have taken on a few more PhD students, so I am no longer in a big office on my lonesome, which is good.
So all in all I am generally contented and at peace with the world ...how long this lasts I am unsure, but I am making the most of my good mood while it chooses to visit me.
So to celebrate my happy state of mind, here is an appropriate quote ...
"Happiness is the sublime moment when you get out of your corsets at night" -
Joyce Grenfell




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home