News from up North

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Oscar Wilde anyone?

"The exquisite art of idleness, one of the most important things that any University can teach"
- Oscar Wilde

Well my University does not have this module on my lecture programme ..... shame! I wish I could be idle actually I wish I could go on holiday right now, even though my flat is still giving me the hotel feel, mainly due to the extractor fan in the shower room which automatically goes off when you switch the light on. The other factor is the size of the actual shower cubicle which I believe was designed for the currently popular American size zero.....the sensation of your buttocks sliding down the tiles everytime you drop the soap was at first a novelty, now it is just confirming the very apparent fact that I need to loose weight!

The whole idea when I moved up here especially with out my car was to get fit, loose weight and generally shift the 14 pounds gained on my jam sandwich/ M&M diet during my dissertation. So far my 3 minute crawl to the library and my constant supply of Sainsbury's "Taste the Ddifference" ready meals and Galaxy chocs have not made much of an impact! .....
Talking of "Taste the Difference"...they do exactly what they say on the box.....they taste different from all the other ready meals I have tasted....'cos they taste like sh** !

Anyway I will briefly move on to my Moan of the Day section which today is autobiographies.
I love autobiographies and own several great books which describe the lives of important politicians or icons like Nelson Mandela etc.......but what really gets my blood boiling are these so called celebrities who at the age of post-puberty decide to write their memoirs! The person in question ,who is the latest to jump on the bandwagon is Chantelle ...who? I hear you cry ...exactly!
After winning celebrity Big Brother and marrying a two bit pop star ..this 19 year old...yes 19! has decided to share her "life" story with the nation. Life...what life?...God she's only just left school! Her 300 page + masterpiece could have been fitted on a 2 sided insert and placed in OK magazine with all the other bits of rubbish advertising catalogues and timeshares in Turkey....RAH! why is she allowed to get away with this? I bet the new guinea pigs who are auditioning for BB29 are already digging out their school diaries in preparation for their own publishing deals in 2007!

Ok rant over...... according to Noel Coward....who once said "television is for appearing on, not looking at" ....I can see why we are in such a mess!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home