News from up North

Friday, October 13, 2006

Here we go........continued.




Well I am so pleased that my first (far too long) blog entry worked and I even managed to upload some pics...at the cost of not getting to bed until gone 3.00am! but then Matt rings me this morning and tells me about flickr which means I'll have to investigate how that works...oh the mental torment!

Anyway, back to the epic saga of my move etc ...... not much more to say really...
On the first Saturday in Hudds I went for a wander around town, it's got 2 large shopping centre's here including a Beatties which is part of the House of Frazer chain (somewhere I won't be spending a lot of time!). What struck me were the similarities to Caerphilly....especially at the top of town where all the "£1 shops" are. There is a constant stream of push chairs, track suits and loud 14 year old mother's ....so I felt quite at home!

The above pics of my flat were taken before I moved in, I will take some more post furniture installation as soon as I can. It is very cosy here and in a really useful location for town/shops etc. The best bit about it is that it only takes 16mins to clean....whereas my last house was 2-3 hours..not good!

As Hudds is a former industrial town, it has a canal going right through it which also runs past my flat. The building itself is a former mill and has very creaky floorboards! I didn't really notice this until last night actually...as the guy who lives upstairs (who I am convinced has size 14 feet) was visited late in the night by a friend, I am assuming who is female, but you can't be too sure these days....anyway, "they" have been thumping and humping around all night and now today, one of them is marching backwards and forwards as if they are on guard duty! Not sure what is happening and part of me really doesn't want to!

Anyway, the University itself is a former Polytechnic like Glamorgan, small and a bit disorganised! but everyone there is friendly and helpful. I am getting on well with Liz and they have given me shed loads of work to do. It has made me realise that this is a "proper" job as I have to give talks and stuff....yikes!

The only downside has been that there are not many (if any) other new PhD students, so I am really missing the student "community" spirit that I had in Cardiff ... but then again three years is a long time so I am sure it was all sort itself out!

I am now in my second week and things are definately a lot better, I feel more at home and getting into a routine. I managed to see my sister's kids on webcam yesterday which was good as they are as completely wild as ever! The best thing is they do not have a microphone on their webcam, so it was like a silent film ...fab! There's a pic of them at the top.....all nutters ...it's a family trait!

Well that's about it for today best get on with some work......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home